« Home | Undocumented IOS » | Gotta love computers » | 9-11 Commission Final Report » | Goodbye old friend » | Favorites vs. Bookmarks » | Bottle Cap Tripod » | Retro phone » | P2P for the people » | Cool bookmarklet » | Phone or camera »

Touchpad PDA (with free rant thrown in!)

I've kinda got the PDA itch again... The new iPaq hx4700 has this new touchpad navigation that looks really cool. But it is $600+! The Dell Axim X30 is also very tempting at half the price... *sigh*
I just want a useable device that does it all; is that too much to ask for? One of the other new iPaqs, the h6315 seems close, but the lower performance bugs me. Maybe if there was a compact flash EDGE card to shove in the hx4700. EDGE service is pretty pricey right now anyway...

I currently have an iPaq 3870. I have alot of problems with the bluetooth... I have never gotten Activesync to work over bluetooth; what I wanted out of that was to sync automatically when I'm at my desk without having to take it off my belt. Connecting to either my Nokia 3650 or SonyEricsson T68 was a pain; the bluetooth connection with either one keeps dropping. Not to mention that GPRS is dog slow anyway. I got the T68 first and kinda thought I ought to eliminate the link between the phone and the PDA... After dealing with the T68 and a T300, I decided to give up on SonyEricsson. I've heard good things about the P900 though. Anyway I figured the 3650 with it's Symbian OS would be enough for the limited web browsing I wanted... I was wrong. I tried every browser on the market and they either didn't work well enough with the websites I wanted to use, or the phone didn't have enough memory to run the browser and load a web page (i.e. Opera). Anyone know of an aftermarket hack to add memory to a Nokia 3650? I think I'll wait for a few more improvements in Pocket IE and get something new next year. Maybe there'll be something like the P900 with more horsepower and 3G support...